Monday, June 30, 2008

Breaking The Book Ban Once More

Oh dear... Its happened again. I was merely walking past the Aladdin's Library near the gym in Tooting Bec (so far my better/less bookier half hasn't noticed this flaw in the gyms location) and it happened all over again. I was better this time though. I only bought two... for me.

Don't Tell Alfred - Nancy Mitford
I have to admit I debated this one, not because its Nancy Mitford as I am growing to truly love her (via Letters Between Six Sisters edited by Charlotte Mosely that I am slowly devouring and have been for some time) it was the cover, which yes is a kitsch Penguin classic but for some reason makes me think of old peoples homes, sadly was too tempting and matched another purchase. I am looking for The Pursuit of Love everywhere.
The Woman In Black - Susan Hill
This was a gift for Polly, isnt it great when you can buy books that form your friends personal library, not in a pushy way. We both read Turn of the Screw and were left cold by it, so I got her this as its a real ghost story with chills and one of my favourite books.
Shameless - Paul Burston
I actually need to re-read this as I know I loved it, but read it when it came out, thats one to dig out and put on the TBR pile. This was another book for Polly.
Love In A Cold Climate - Nancy Mitford
I know I bemoaned the previous Nancy book's cover, but these are wrong, so hideous. Why do publishers need to make (the did it with Austen too) books look chick lit when they arent, I have nothing against chick lit by the way, am I being picky? Anyway been wanting this ages so for me a real gem was found. I do kick myself I didnt get the fabulous 70's BBC cover of The Pursuit of
Love & Love In A Cold Climate from Oxfam for 99p a while back, but then I didnt appreciate who Nancy Mitford was then. Shocking I know.
Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson
I bought this for the non bookish member of my household, one because they like travel books (who'd have guessed), two because they not being British might find this a funny account of Brits and how quaint, daft and delightful we can be.
See technically I only bought two!

No comments: