Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I'm Back... With More Books

So I had the break away which was very much needed indeed I love London but it really can be nice to get away. Did I buy any books while I was away? Not a single one. I came back and within a few hours 'oh look' I have bought three but I didnt intend to go and get them. I merely wanted to go and see if the new book shop that they have been promising to open down the road was actually open yet. It wasnt... and as I walked past the window of one of the other ones I saw a book I have been wanting to get for ages, Lady With Lapdog by Anton Chekhov. Ever since seeing The Reader I have been wanting to read it, if you've seen the movie you'll know why if not then I wont spoil it.

The other books that I got were books that I *needed* or ones that are quite difficult to get. I have been looking for The White Hotel by D.M. Thomas for the last month or so as I am joining one of my friends book groups in Hertfordshire next week and that is what they are reading but its not that easy to get despite being Long Listed for the Man Booker. I told my Gran that I was going to read D.M. Thomas and she exclaimed 'ooooohhhh I think his stuff is a bit racy... if it is let me know' I am not sure whether that meant she would avoid it or read it!

The other book that I managed to get, and am thrilled that I saw out of the corner of my eye, was White Mischief by James Fox. After reading The Bolter about the life of Idina Sackville and all the shenanigans going on in the Happy Valley I have been wanting to find out more about the era and the characters in it. White Mischief is all about one of Idina's five husbands who was mysteriously murdered out in the Happy Valley. I only thought this was a movie I didnt realise the book (which is non-fiction I gather) had come out first so I will be devouring this very soon.

Whilst away I didn't manage either of the two books I asked you to guess I might take with me because I was a little too busy with these two...
I did manage to finish Child 44 with Tom Rob Smith which I shall review tomorrow. Oh which two books did I take? If only I could do a drum role, sadly I can't so I shall just say Daphne by Justine Picardie and The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. I've come home and started something completely different instead... and autobiography am off to go and read it now. So what are you all reading and what have you all been upto? Three days seems like a lot longer, in a good way.
Oh I also forgot to add that while I was away I received an 'I Love Your Blog' award from the delightful Farm Lane Books so was very chuffed, what a lovely welcome back. Do check out Farm Lane Books as its great, we are both doing the Richard and Judy Book Challenge (to read all of them) and though we occasionally differ I love hearing all her reviews and thoughts.

2 comments:

claire said...

Ooh the little ones are so darling. They make me smile. :)

Sandy Nawrot said...

Oh, those pink rosy cheeks! I just want to squeeze them! I completely understand how you didn't get to the books...I've two reasons myself, although they are a little older and alot sassier. You crack me up! You go on a trip and buy nothing, being good, and come back and let it rip! You've got some good ones though. Don't blame you. But what about Atwood???