Thursday, February 26, 2009

Collectibles - Booking Through Thursday

Hardcover? Or paperback?
Illustrations? Or just text?
First editions? Or you don’t care?
Signed by the author? Or not?

That is the question or questions today from Booking Through Thursday. I have to say that though I own a ridiculous amount of books and it is ever growing I dont actually 'collect' books specifically. I dont even on the whole mind if they are all issued at around the same time or are the same series. There is only one exception so far and that is my Evelyn Waugh books which are all the art deco range such as you can see here this was never intentional I just bought three at once in that range for a pound and that was it! This may change though as publishers such as the lovely Vintage have now started to do really gorgeous covers on their books such as with the new W.Somerset Maugham books which I will be reading shortly. You can see a few of them here and they just look beautiful.



So some of the covers like that could get me collecting. I have just been and had a second look at my shelves and I have to admit that all my Agatha Christies are the 60's versions when books were 75p, can you imagine that now, wouldn't it be amazing! However again I dont think the Christie's being the same series is intentional. Maybe I'm a subconcious collector without even knowing it? On the whole with books in general I prefer paperback, so if I was to collect it would be those. I do have some signed first editions, if I in a store and the book, which I am going to buy anyway, is signed why the heck not? It could become a collectors item of the future.

If I did do a collection of old books it would have to be of the Ladybird 606d series which was the series I inherited from my aunts and uncles when I was young and have about six of and really remind me of my childhood. They go for around £10 each now if not more and so maybe with my birthday coming up I shall add a few to my birthday list, we shall see.



How about you?

10 comments:

Jo said...

I love those vintage books! nd the poor subconscious! It gets blamed for somuch! Lol.

Melody said...

Wow, I love those covers! I'll buy the same book if I'm enticed with the beautiful covers! Does that makes me a collector, well...maybe in a way, LOL.

Mo said...

wow, one could frame those Maugham covers, they're so beautiful! Thanks for sharin' those, and have a great weekend ahead (with lots of good reading!!)

Beth F said...

I am in love with all the covers you shared! Thanks so much.

I'm not an intentional collector. I have tons of books because I've been reading and buying books all my life.

Anonymous said...

I am not a collector of books because I have to. I collect because I read. I like the vintage covers.

Karen Harrington said...

I love the vintage covers, too. That is a great collection. I've collected many old magazines for that same reason - because the style appeals to me. I've collected several first editions over the years and have them all above my writing desk instead of behind glass.

Anonymous said...

I love those children's books!! Beautiful covers. I showed one today as well. I especially like that kind of thing for children's books. With others. a nice cover is a plus, but I mainly buy them for the content.

claire said...

I'm coveting the new Vintage editions, too! Especially the ones by Richard Yates. Those Maughams are so lovely. All my Maugham books are in old, worn, dusty hardcovers, from the library discard shelves, lol.

I used to have those Snow White, Rapunzel, and Sleeping Beauty books, the exact ones, when I was a kid. They're now lost forever. :(

Julia said...

Those vintage books cover look really beautiful. I guess I never pay too close attention to the cover arts, even when it look wonderful. But I wish the cover would match the feeling of what inside the books too.

I don't think of myself as being collector, but whatever is in my bookshelves - it may look that way. Even some reissue books are fine with me, so as long as they were hard to find book.

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting my blog. I wish you to have a good Thursday!

Caroline Gill said...

Rapunzel was always one of my favourites! It makes me feel quite old to look at these ... a sign that cover design has gone digital?